Now I have to be honest and admit that I don’t love to cook, but that is mostly because I don’t often have the time to spend in the kitchen, or the patience for following lengthy, ingredient intensive recipes. This is one of the reasons that when I do get the urge (and the time) to cook, I like making hearty, one-pot meals and soups. This type of all day slow cooking and simmering is the kind that makes your mouth water and your home smell simply delicious.
Since my family was home all together after New Year’s day and it was a rainy, chilly day, I decided that was the perfect day to make an Italian Sausage Creamy Tortellini Soup.
Even though the soup took about 5 hours to cook, it was so nice to not have to stand around and watch it since it was all done in the slow cooker. After the soup was finished cooking I served it right away into my fun polka dot bowls alongside of a crusty garlic bread, which my son was a fan of dipping into the soup. This was a meal that my whole family, including my 6-year-old daughter enjoyed (she can be a tough audience at times). There was even plenty enough soup left over for lunch the next day, which my husband was definitely a big fan of.
I think that this Italian Sausage Creamy Tortellini Soup will be a go to meal for my family and I this winter as it is easy to create, creamy without being too heavy, has lots of delicious flavors, and is definitely hearty enough to serve as stand alone meal.
Let me know what you think if you decide to warm up on a chilly winter day by making this soup.
Please leave a comment and share with me your favorite soup to make when it’s chilly out.
Recipe For Italian Sausage Creamy Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound of ground Italian sausage
- 2 10 ounce containers of mirepoix (chopped carrots, celery & onions)
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons of beef bouillon powder
- salt to taste
- 32 ounces of beef broth
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch mixed together with a 1/4 cup of water
- 36 ounces of full fat evaporated milk
- 1 12 ounce pack of dried cheese tortellini (I used three cheese tortellini)
- 1 package of fresh spinach (I used a 5 ounce package)
- 1. Brown the ground Italian sausage.
- 2. Place the browned ground Italian sausage, mirepoix, garlic, Italian seasoning, beef bouillon powder, beef broth and salt in a slow cooker (I used a 6-quart slow cooker), and cook on high for 4 hours.
- 3. Stir the soup and then mix in the cornstarch/water mixture, along with the evaporated milk.
- 4. Next add the tortellini, mix well, cover and then cook on high for an additional 45 minutes.
- 5. Uncover, add the spinach (make sure to cover all the leaves with the liquid), re-cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- 6. Serve warm with garlic bread and enjoy.